Where did you grow up/study?
I grew up in a tourist town called Rotorua in Aotearoa, New Zealand. Later I spent a year of high school in Japan, studied for my undergraduate degree in New Zealand and my master’s in Australia.

What attracted you to teach at CAIS?
I was impressed by the kindness that I felt through videos I had seen and I encouraged my husband to think about exploring the possibility of our family joining the school community. The feeling of inclusiveness is very apparent from talking with leaders of CAIS and I look forward to working with everyone from August this year.

Biggest challenge and rewarding moment working in education?
The biggest challenge for me working in education is balancing my empathy and passion to empower students to become their best selves and my other commitments in life as a wife and mother. My most rewarding moments as an educator are seeing students grow and the pride in their eyes when they have understood something or achieved their goals. Seeing their accomplishments beyond high school on social media are also special for me – for example a former student of mine making the All Blacks and another aiming to be Prime Minister of Bangladesh in 2034. When past students reach out to update me on their life it reminds me that I make a difference every day.

What do you miss most about your home when you are overseas?
Our family and friends – without a doubt this is the hardest part of making the decision to teach overseas. We are fortunate that with technology we can still keep in contact.

Can you share one of your favourite bible verses with us?
“Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” – Colossians 3:12